Tuesday, July 3, 2007

EA#3: Sable

The sable is a mustelid, like a weasel. It can be 12 1/2 to 18 inches long and eats fruit and small animals, like mice. Compared to other mustelid species, the sable has longer legs, a bushier tail and its claws can retract part of the way.

The sable is endangered because people hunt it for its beautiful pelt. This species (Martes americana) only has about 300 sables remaining in Newfoundland, Canada. (Read more about this here.)
Read more about the sable and other endangered close relatives here, here, here, and here.


2 comments:

K said...

Hi. I think this is a wonderful blog and I am going to link it to our homeschooling blog so that my kids and I can check in here often. We heard on the news last week that Bald Eagles are about to come off the endangered list. It would be great to see a blog entry about that!

Good Job and thanks! Katherine

www dot ourreportcard dot blogspot dot com

tara said...

Sam says: Thanks a lot for thinking my blog is great. I did a lot of research for all these posts, and it was fun. I will publish an entry about the Bald Eagle as soon as possible.